After a lengthy wait, I am finally finishing the VIC version of the X-Pander3 cartridge expansion system. The design is subject to some more changes, but I am starting to source the required cartridge port connectors needed for the design.
The unit shares design elements from the C64 version, but provides maximum flexibility for the VIC-20 owner:
- I/O2 and I/O3 are swappable
- All BLK and RAM signals can be switched
- As with the C64 version, Slot 3 can be vertical or horizontal
- Standoffs to align board with height of expansion port
- All controls are located on right side for ease of access
- The ubiquitous “RESET” switch!
The unit will likely retail for a bit more than the C64 version, mainly due to the additional components and the larger (7.5″x5.0″) PCB size.
Astute viewers will notice an unused switch on each bank. I invite suggestions for use.