In late 2010, a group of folks suggested the need for a KERNAL replacement cartridge. This cartridge would allow those with socketed KERNAL ROMs to enjoy KERNAL upgrades like JiffyDOS and would also help KERNAL developers try out new ideas before committing them to EPROM. Due to the complexity of “replacing” a ROM inside a machine without physically removing it, a Commodore Bounty was created to encourage someone to develop the solution. Thomas Giesel took up the challenge, finding a novel solution to the complexity, and developing an economically viable solution. Along the way, Thomas merged in some additional features, and the result is EasyFlash 3.
EasyFlash 3 offers a number of features:
- 8 8kB slots for alternative KERNAL ROM images,
- 7 EasyFlash I cartridge image slots.
- Support for the following cartridge formats
- Normal 8k
- Normal 16k
- Ocean Type 1
- EasyFlash xbank
- USB support (for transfer of data to/from PC/Mac/Linux
- Field upgradeable firmware and hardware configuration
- Ability to replace/add/remove images from the C64
EasyFlash will soon be available from RETRO Innovations and can be used on the C64, C64C, and SX64. C128/C128D use is not currently supported.